Owning a car is a wonderful privilege as it is one of the most convenient transportation methods. Unfortunately, many drivers often forget about the impacts of emissions caused by burning gasoline, contributing to pollution and global climate problems.
We thought we would share these green driving practices in honor of this month's green holiday!
- Keep your tires properly inflated to improve your gas mileage and preserve your tires.
- Check and replace the engine air filter, as a clogged filter can decrease your mileage up to 10%.
- Avoid idling. It can strain your engine and other parts while also wasting a significant amount of gas. Turning the engine off and on at a later time is your best bet.
- Don't carry hefty things. Extra weight = higher fuel consumption. If you don't need the item, leave it stored at home.
- Plan efficiently. Combine your short trips and run your errands all at once.
- Don't heavily accelerate or brake as it can lead to extra gas consumption. Practice gradual movements instead to better the environment and increase your overall safety.
- Use cruise control when you can. This feature is best used on highways to help you maintain a constant speed.
- Pick your car wisely. When buying a car, keep MPG in mind when comparing your options. Or you may want to consider more eco-friendlier options like hybrid or electric vehicles.
- Carpool to work. Sharing your daily commute with others will not only cut your fuel cost, but it will cut down on emissions.
We hope you consider these tips to better the environment and save you money. If your car needs a tune-up or any other service, we invite you to RM Automotive, Inc. in Northridge, CA.