Driving in warm summer months here in California can definitely take a toll on your vehicle. The high temperature and increase in driving can add wear and tear, so these helpful tips on how to summerize your vehicle can ensure that your car is properly prepared and ready to take the heat.
Here are some ways you can summerize your vehicle:
- Check the level of coolant - low coolant can quickly lead to engine overheating, especially in the summer. If the coolant level is low, we recommend bringing your vehicle into our shop. There may be a leak in the system, and just topping off the coolant may not solve the issue if the coolant continues to leak. We will also ensure that the cooling fan is in proper working order.
- Test your vehicle's air conditioning system for proper function.
- Take note of the age of your vehicle's battery, and if its been over 3 years since you last replaced it, you may want to have it tested. We can do so at our shop to see how much juice it has left. The heat can cause battery fluids to break down quicker, so a new battery may be best to prevent you from dealing with a dead battery unexpectedly.
- Change your oil - if it's time to get an oil change, or you're about to embark on a road trip, we recommend changing your oil.
- While you may not think you need wipers during the summer, they come in handy for cleaning off our windshield. Dirt and pollen is increased during the warm summer months, so we recommend replacing your wipers if they appear at all dry or frayed.
- Inspect your tires for any wear. Severely worn tires will only get worse in the summer, and should be replaced if you're planning a road trip of any kind. Also, be sure your tires are set at the proper tire pressure at all times.
- Consider buying a sunshade for your windshield if you don't have one already. This will help protect your vehicle's interior and help to keep your cabin cool.
These are just some of the ways in which you can get your vehicle ready for the summer months. If you're due for any of the services listed above, we invite you into our Northridge auto repair shop today!